Thursday, October 8, 2009

Question about winserv.exe file on my computer?

Hello,



I performed a virus scan using the CA antivirus scanner. The results it produced found two items with infections. Both were C:\WINDOWS\System32\winserv.exe, the first line said quarantined, and the second line said infected. It gave me an option to purge the files. I did and it seemed to have removed this file.



Now when I re-boot my computer, I hear a beep after the re-boot and a pop-up box appears with an error message that states 鈥淲indows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\System32\winserv.exe鈥?br>



I am wondering if winserv.exe is a necessary MS Windows system file that I deleted? When I do a search on the internet, many results appear that seem to state that winserv.exe could be a virus. If so, why am I getting an error message when I re-boot and how can I get rid of this error message?



Thank you in advance for your help.



Regards,



Mike



Question about winserv.exe file on my computer?spyware



Hi Mike,



You have a startup entry associated with a file that is no longer present on your system and that is what is causing the error.



Please download HijackThis



http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTs...



This will download HiJackThis to your computer, choose Save and navigate to the folder where it's saved and doubleclick it.



This is a complete installer that installs HijackThis to C:\Program Files\HijackThis and makes an entry in the start menu %26 allows you to have a shortcut on desktop as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment