Monday, October 19, 2009

My computer is constantly freezing! My emachines computer always freezes.?

My emachines computer that is at least 5 years old is always freezing. I constantly am doing disk cleanups and defragging. Also running virus scans with Norton Antivirus. I run Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware Se. I also always install windows updates. But it STILL freezes. Is this because its old? or what?



My computer is constantly freezing! My emachines computer always freezes.?kawasaki



You should try to upgrade Internet Explorer to Version 6 with SP2. that might help. (don't download Internet Explorer 7). Visit http://www.microsoft.com and go to the Download section. Then go to the Internet section.



Go to RUN and type MSCONFIG and go to the Startup section. UNCHECK the programs that you do not need at startup.



It helps to use Disk Cleanup. Then RIGHT CLICK on your C drive and pick PROPERTIES. Then go to the TOOLS section and click on CHECK NOW. Check both tests, then pick YES to run the test after restart. Restart your computer to run the full test. Then use DEFRAG. That will help.



If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you might need more RAM. You see, with Windows Updates and all of the Anti-virus definitions, you might need 512MB of RAM or more. Check your system at http://www.coastmemory.com



By the way, I also use Norton AV and SpyBot and Ad-aware on Windows 2000 Pro. I am currently running with 1GB of RAM and it works just great. I have a 3GHz ASUS motherboard that is about a year old. My previous computer was a 450GHz PIII with 512 MB of RAM on a Tyan motherboard and it was just getting too slow. I still have that rig as a backup, but rarely turn it on. I can simply MOVE my hard drive into the old rig if something horrible happens to the new rig.

No comments:

Post a Comment