Thursday, October 22, 2009

Is Norton getting lazy?

Last year I was infected with Spy Sheriff, even though I use Norton Antivirus 2007, and regularly scan with Ad Aware. All of Norton鈥檚 horses and all of Norton鈥檚 men could not get my computer working correctly again. Ad Aware was just as helpless. I ended up manually removing Spy Sheriff.



I have been infected several more times and every time the bogusware was able to render Norton Antivirus 2008 ineffective. I recently downloaded Super Spy ware destroyer. It found 28 infections (not cookies) and removed 27 of them. However it could not remove core.cashe.dsk (I forget the official name). I removed it manually.



If that was not enough ccSVcHst.exe went amuck and was eating up 99% of my system resources. I read on the NET that this is actually a bug in Norton Antivirus that caused the problem. I had to fix that manually was well.



Is this the trend of things to come?



Is Norton getting lazy?symatec



Spy Sheriff is in the Smitfraud family of infections which is caused when Trojan Zlob gets downloaded to your computer. The international crime gangs that produce this crap are constantly mutating the infection to avoid detection by 'general purpose, all-in-one' anti-malware programs such as Norton. Often it is mutated hourly....The Nortons of the world simply cannot update fast enough to catch these new variants.



This Smitfraud malware is generally installed in one of two ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment