Thursday, October 22, 2009

My computer is scanning for viruses and it has slowed down my computer to a crawl. Why?

I have Norton AntiVirus. It has been scanning my computer since last night, it is still going. Why does it take so long? I am determined to let it finish, even if it takes days. But why has it slowed it down to a crawl? Is it ok to be on while it is scanning?



My computer is scanning for viruses and it has slowed down my computer to a crawl. Why?spyware



Sounds to me like your computer is using all it resources to scan for viruses. I use Windows One Care and when it scans I cant even tell its running or scanning.



Anyway right click on your tool bar and go to the "Task Manager"



See what percentage your cpu is. The higher the percentage, the more system resources you re using.



Alot of the reasons why system resources are high is usually in your start up. If you or, more than likely, your kids download alot this usually sets up a start up icon in the bottom right hand side of your toolbar. The more thing you have set up to run when Windows start, example Yahoo Messenger, the longer it takes your to computer start, then when you have something important to do, like scan for viruses, the more your virus protection has to scan and share system resources, your processor.



What I would do, if it were me, reformat your hard drive and reinstall Norton first thing when your system is back up and running. Then as you reinstall other software, like Yahoo Messenger, dont let it run when Windows starts. Then your computer will not only start faster, it will run any program you want to run, like a virus scanner faster too.



Norton is a bad piece of software to buy anyway so is Mcafee. When your subscription is up on Norton, try Windows One care. Its free for 90 days and you can put it on up to 3 different computers legally.



My computer is scanning for viruses and it has slowed down my computer to a crawl. Why?virus scan



Because you have Norton AntiVirus, that's why. It's bloated and "heavy" and notorious for crippling even proper gaming rigs. There are other good, and free, antivirus programs out there like Avast, AVG and AntiVir.

No comments:

Post a Comment